English as a World Language - British vs American
Checkpoints page 41.
1)
Some words that are pronounced differently in General American and Received Pronunciation are:
Car, star, pillar, bar, far
In RP they don’t pronounce ‘’r’’.
2)
The five main spelling differences between AE and BE are:
1. Words like theater and theatre, ends in –ter in AE and –tre in BE
2. Words like like monolog, monologue, catalog and catalogue, ends in –og in AE and –ogue in BE.
3. Words like color and colour, ends in –or in AE and –our in BE.
4. Verbs like analyse and analyse, ends with –ize/yze in AE and –ise/yse in BE.
5. When a new ending is added in BE, the –l at the end of a word is doubled. In AE the –l is only doubled if the stress is originally on the second syllable. Rebel-rebelled (AE), rebel-rebelled (BE), travel-traveler (AE), travel-traveller (BE).
Language work page 41.
Translated the following sentences from BE to AE.
I am knackered and I must go to the bathroom.
Are there any bathrooms close by?
Must I stand in line up behind that bloke?
Is there a chemist anywhere close?
I am peckish.
At the zebra crossing the lollipop lady directed us to take a diversion, but my truck was out of petrol and it was impossible.
No comments:
Post a Comment